Riding the Cinque Terre

Corniglia

 Our hosts in Levanto after learning of our experience riding our Vstrom mentioned that they had one as well. Also a 1000 but of the 2nd generation. When I asked to see it, Corrado did one better, he offered to let me take it for a ride. 

Bad mistake! He may never get it back while I'm in Italy. 



First I took it for a short ride and when I came back Sara suggested I needed to ride a bit more. So I suggested I'd see if Sandra felt comfortable without our normal riding gear on and we arranged to take it the next day.

Well Sandra agreed and at first was a bit hesitant but got into perfect riding form in no time flat. She's quite proud of it and said to me "See I've still got it!". Yes you do dear, yes you do!

We headed out on the Strada Nationale Cinque Terre (SP370) from Levanto. Traffic was light on this narrow mountain road and the panoramic scenery amazing. I had forgotten how beautiful it was. Then where in a previous ride years before we stayed to the left and went inland, we stayed right towards Vernazza and Manarola onward to La Spezia. The scenery got even better from a panorama standpoint.

What stood out so much were the tiered mountain sides for grapes. And then Corniglia popped out into the ocean. As one of the 5 towns it is the only one not directly on the water.

Us on other side of Corniglia

We continued south passing over Manarola
Mechanical grape rancher on track (Manorola)






Grape Rancher







and Rio Maggorie and then arriving in La Spezia where we headed out to Porto Venere,

Porto Venere

a WHO site for it's ancient castle. It is a HUGE tourist attraction as well and a Cruise Ship stop. 

The beaches are well used there as well.

Black Sailboat







Busy Beach


La Spezia Cruise Ship Stop

See, I still have GOT IT!


After numerous stops for pictures and sight seeing we headed back to Levanto with our appetite whetted for more motorcycle travel. Next time hopefully on our own, again!



Comments

MGB said…
High Brian ! (I'm Pierre & Myriam from Orleans France / Triumph Tiger 800 & BMW F650 GS) We met you in Levanto B&B when we visited 'les cinq terres' July 2014. We never come again in this area since this time.... I'm very glad to see you both with the bike...
My wife Myriam decided not to ride again bike, and preferes stay on the back seat as she drive not enougth to keep her driving experience at the good level for her safety... (from her opinion...)
From my side I change my Triumph Tiger 800 XR 2011 (road version)and move to the same Triumph 800 but 2018 XC Version (21' front wheel and WP shock and fork system ) and many other improvement. I only use it for road trip with two years covid stand by... Next projet with some old friends to 'Les Ardennes' (France / Belgium) some little curvy roads... one week in August and Alpes Moto Festival in Barcelonette (Alpes) september https://www.alpesaventuremotofestival.com/ via 'Route Napoléons' RN85 https://route-napoleon.com/... I wish you a very good trip. Friendly / Pierre
Hi Pierre. Thanks for writing back. I spend time every time I ride focusing on reinforcing my skills, making sure I pick the correct line through a corner, in the right gear etc.> I think it is a must. Your Triumph XC w/21" wheel set I'm sure is very nice and as long as Myriam is with you, that is what's important. Cris and I were actually talking about you being there when we were last there but we thought that was 2015. Maybe we meet again!

Popular posts from this blog

Hope for the Best, plan for the worst!

Switzerland - Sept. 21-23 - Lukmanier Pass and Disentis

Ostia Antica and Ostia Lido